Wednesday 10 April 2013

Clockwise or anti clockwise

I'll now be investigating which way my wisteria climbs as to whether it's sinensis or floribunda

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=2045

Wisteria sinensis

highly scented and vigorous
smaller flowers and leaves after
twists anti clockwise

Wisteria floribunda

bigger clusters of flowers
less scented
not such vigourous plant
twists clockwise

I remember Jamie saying in the Paris trip in first year than wisteria has very strong root growth and to be warned of planting it next to house foundations. Quite often it's the wisteria that holds up old houses.

I'm planting the wisteria near retaining walls so I'm going to opt for floribunda as I'd imagine the root growth will be less vigorous if the top growth is, but I'll need to remember this for specification and construction drawings

The one for me x


No comments:

Post a Comment