Sunday 16 December 2012

Belief and Fact.


As this course progresses I am beginning to understand and get to grips with my style as a garden designer. 

Initially I was really daunted by developing a style as I felt it would typecast me as a designer. However as my confidence and knowledge grows my style develops. 

I see my style as becoming subtly naturalistic working with organic shapes and forms and emphasis on the interplay of light and shadow.  Hark at me almost sounding like a designer already, just as long as I don't start overusing the word 'juxtapose' like so many of my fellow designers. 



A few weeks ago Tom lectured us about belief and fact. There's a belief in society that green walls are sustainable. In reality they aren't. They require a huge amount of watering and fertiliser. Recycling paper can use more energy within the recycling process than using virgin pulp paper. If one were to apply a sustainable approach one would consume less and reuse rather than recycle. 

It seems all too easy to say that you want to be a sustainable designer. My mission over the coming months is to separate fact from belief with regards to sustainability. 

I'm starting with 'Design with nature' by Ian McHarg, a recommendation from the wonderful Professor Weston......watch this space. 

PS. I'd love to fill you in on my 45 minute phone call with Professor Weston, but it was too exciting to share.  Suffice to say I now have 4 hugely valuable powerpoint files on my mac of his clearest images that i can't stop perusing and a head full of advice to mull over.  He was incredibly kind and inspiring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment