Sunday 9 December 2012

Justifying Scarves


I've become a little obsessed recently with Professor Weston and his scarves. Although he's a professor of Architecture at Cardiff, he bought a scanner and started scanning leaves, fossils and minerals. I was very naughty and bought one of his scarves which I now can't take off. He scans these images and then has them printed in Lake Garda in Italy and then hand rolled and stitched.  I know, I know, I'm trying to justify an incredibly expensive purchase.

From this scarf I started researching the Professor and also Ian McHarg who he studied under during his Landscape Architecture MA in University of Pennsylvania.

The reason I've been researching this is that I'm fascinated by the shapes nature throws up. I hate using the word perfection as I don't think perfection exists, but the shapes and colours within nature do seem perfect even though they aren't.  For example, the colour of a penstemon 'Raven' within a planting scheme is magnificent but try to reproduce that colour in a wall paint or even item of clothing and it's just wrong.


Nature has a way of perfecting something that we can only watch and admire. My scarf being one. This is also the reason I'm training as a Garden Designer not an Interior Designer. Garden design is so much more faceted than Interior and it works with aspect, topography, light, microclimate and seasonal change. It's all in there. This leaves a space which can be watched from indoors or enjoyed within.

Anyhow, my thoughts with Professor Weston developed into an embryonic idea of using his patterns as cladding for my buildings within the park.  Whilst emailing his business manager about another matter I mentioned the seeds of this idea.  You'll never guess who I just got an email from!  Professor Weston telling me he's intrigued  by my idea and wants to discuss it further, could I call him at home.  That was 4 hours ago, I've only just calmed down, so what am I going to ask Professor Weston...........
 

No comments:

Post a Comment