Monday 31 December 2012

Working with Creativity




This evening was the 21st December,  one of the biggest nights of the year, and the last Friday before Christmas. I'd had a big night planned for quite a while as it was my first weekend after breaking up. The evening started with a chaotic journey home but soon felt better after my first glass of Vino. I find in life the nights where you only plan a quick drink after work turn out to be the best evenings, whereas the evenings in the diary for a month tend to be an anti climax. 

This evening out had followed a pin up on Monday, working physically from Tuesday to Thursday in some fairly adverse weather conditions and then on friday driving to the arse end of Kent on the busiest traffic day of the year for a private lesson with an ex BA student for hints and tips for the next five months. In between work I'd also successfully food shopped, present shopped and done all my cards - all in all, a busy busy week.

The gig we went to see was 'south coast soul revival' at the Brunswick. Their lead singer Ruby knocks the socks off any X Factor finalist (inspite of not watching X factor but having to tolerate Simon Cowell's monopoly on Christmas number ones. If there's a firing line for him I've got the first shot).  Its also clearly something that Ruby loves doing. 

In turn, in my drunken overtired fuzzy, state got me thinking about passions. Ruby obviously does this as she's passionate about singing. I travel 140 miles a week as I'm passionate about design and learning from some really great characters. 

Given my last blog about education and creativity, what would the world be like if everyone followed their passions.  Would we have a glut of over excited over emotional creative either running very high or very low?  I know that if I had an office job right now things would be a lot calmer on the home front - but goodness they'd be boring.  Although I'm really challenged by this degree I am loving it and growing in leaps and bounds both as a person and a designer. 
South Coast Soul Revue photo by James Pike



I guess it comes back to life not being a spectators sport but equally having some balance in that ride.  Bring on 2013! 

No comments:

Post a Comment